Friday, May 15, 2009

Wisdom from Driscoll

1. I need to transition from caring for all people to ensuring they were all cared for by raising up elders, deacons, and church members.

2. I need to transition from being everyone's pastor to being the missiologist-preacher who led the church from the Bible in the pulpit.

3. I need to stop doing most of the work I was doing and deploy more elders and deacons to manage church members who would do the work of the ministry.

4. I need to transition from working both in the church and on the church to almost exclusively working on the church, continually making plans to connect the Bible with our culture, like Paul did as a missiologist-apostle.

5. Our internal and external church communication needed to transition from informal and oral to written and formal, which would include me writing lots of email templates, booklets, and position papers to inform our people.

6. We needed to transition our people from a survivalist mentality that focused on the present to a settler mentality that focused on a lasting legacy.

7. We needed our people to accept that we would be a very large church.

8. We needed to ensure that in the tension between caring for Christians and reaching non-Christians, evangelism continually remained our highest priority.

9. We needed to accept the fact that some people would feel less connected to my family and me, experience displacement, and leave the church.

10. My wife and I needed to reserve the right to select our own friends without feeling personally obligated to everyone in the church.

"Confessions of Reformission Rev." Mark Driscoll pg 150-151.

No comments: