Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Face to Face with Reality: Part 1

It's easy to gather information but it's crazy difficult to apply what you learn & believe.

Last Friday i was coming back from the gym on my way to work. I had not eaten anything so i wanted to pick up some food before i got back to the office. And it's weird because there's only fast-food restaurants between the gym and church so i pass up a MCstomach ache and went to Sonic. By the way, they're $1 menu is catching up with the rest of the fast-food world (i recommend the frito wrap). Well so i order and i'm sitting there at a light and out of my window i see a homeless dude with a sign. Recently, at church we've been talking about missions and how we're constantly on missions and that God has given us our talents, abilities, and resources for pushing back the darkness. And so looking at this guy i reached down and grabbed my lunch and rolled down my window and go "Hey man! I got lunch for you!" When he walks over to my car the first thing i notice is how his skin is kind of worn out from the sun and how it peels. I give my lunch to him and because that was all i cared to do for the man i started to roll up my window. But before i could get it up all the way he asks me, "What's your name?" Honestly, i wanted to just drive away and feel good about myself for feeding a homeless dude. I didn't want to chit chat nor did i want to risk the chance of getting jacked in the face by some random stranger. Nevertheless I tell him my name and he asked me what I did. I responded "Youth Pastor" which again God used to humble me. And then he proceeded to tell me how grateful he was that there are people in the world like me and for some reason (I don't know why) I pull out my business card and go "Well...here's my card and if you need something let me know". I swear that was the longest i've ever spoken to a homeless man. I roll up my window and take off and really didn't expect much. That was until Saturday night...

No comments: