Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Language: univocal, equivocal?

Every week at the seminary we're required to attend small groups as part of our spiritual formations class. And in my group it's me and 5 older guys. So we talk about life and our families and kids and whatever...but it got me thinkin'. How amazingly strange it is for me to sit down with people from all over the country, some even twice my age with kids and a family, and yet they share their personal problems with me? I mean...there is no where else in the world that this kind of thing would ever take place.

But something happened today that made me extremely sad. We have a guy in our small group from Korea and he's a first year student with a wife and a daughter. And i'll never forget what he said today in our small group. He said, "i - i don't know much...i don't know what the speaker was talking about...but i know God was good...i wish i could understand better". I couldn't help but to hurt for that guy. I mean, here he is wanting with all his might to understand the word of God and what the sermon is about but can't. So he just sits there and looks around as people are responding joyfully to the words of the pastor...and he doesn't understand. It's ironic though that he wants it so bad...and i usually sit back and take my understanding of english for granted. I mean...taking english...for granted. Now that's a thought. He asked us to pray for him that he might be able to understand the english language quicker. I will do that.

No comments: